CORIO STATE SCHOOL Geelong Advertiser 13 Sep 1932
Records at the Corio school date back to 1866 when it is surmised that the present building was opened. The previous building, built by public subscription, and conducted privately, was situated on the opposite side of the road about 250 yards distant. This building, which was on the property owned by the Shannahan family, is still there. In the early records of the school there was shown an attendance of nearly sixty pupils. At different periods since then it has fluctuated between twenty and forty, and its present attendance of 45 is the highest for some years. The Present staff – Mr Riggal (head teacher) and Miss Muller – have the enthusiastic support of an energetic committee in providing equipment and comforts for the benefit of the children. In the past twelve months over 30 pounds has been raised and spent at the school. An outstanding piece of furniture in the school is a food cupboard with a compartment for each child. In this the children can place their lunches on arrival at school, and it is kept in hygienic surroundings until lunch time.