From the 1920s to today
1901 - 1910
1911 - 1920
1921 - 1930
1931 - 1935
1936 - 1940
1941 - 1945
1946 - 1950
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1971 - 1975
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1986
Up to 1900

The Sydney Morning Herald 5 March 1853

The premises of Messrs. Gibson and Currie were, says the Geelong Advertiser, entered by some mode not yet explained, and an iron safe containing about £500 cash, and a quantity of gold and valuable papers, taken away in a boat seized for the purpose. The boat was found stranded near Cowie's Creek, and the safe near it. The safe had been blown open by gunpowder, and the contents abstracted. No clue had been found to lead to the apprehension of the perpetrators of this daring robbery.

 The Argus 30 May 1856

The weather this morning set in stormy, with heavy rain; but, notwithstanding this drawback, a large muster of horsemen started off about half-past six o'clock to the scene of the great trotting match between Milner's Cannon Ball and Sander's horse for £200 a side. The distance trotted I cannot give accurately, but it was nearly seven miles, the ground chosen being from the Duck Ponds to the Ocean Child Hotel, on this side of   Cowies Creek. Cannon Ball won the match easily by about half a mile, ridden by Mr. Rearndon, of Watson's Bazaar, Melbourne.  

The Argus 12 March 1857


Horse stealing has again assumed a formidable aspect. On Saturday night some thieves entered the stable of Mr. Edols of Cowie's Creek, took out a bridle and saddle, then went   to an adjoining paddock, and placing these on a chesnut mare took away the lot. On Sunday night four horses were stolen from Mr. E. Lascelles paddock, on this side of Cowie's Creek, and on Monday night two horses also disappeared from the paddock of Mr. Dunn, on the other side of the same creek. It certainly is surprising that this crime is carried on to such an extent

The Argus 9 January 1874


The adjourned inquest on the body of Hyman Blashki, one of the victims of the recent accident in Corio Bay, was resumed last evening at the Steam Packet Hotel, Geelong, when David Armstrong, James Hindmarsh, Eliza Neal, Eliza Tainton, and Emma Watts,  added but little to the evidence given by them at the other inquests. Hindmarsh positively denied the statement made by the witness Philpott, that the Fanny had touched a reef before she capsized, and Marmio said he went across to Cowie's Creek because it would have been dangerous to go about in the middle of the bay in such a sea, and Sharpe, who was in charge of the Fanny, might have gone about easy enough. John Blakeney added but little to his previous evidence. "After landing our passengers from the Our Hope," he said, "we returned to the Fanny, and I heard Thompson, who was on the boat Fanny, say, 'Keep quiet; stick to me, and you will be saved.' He repeated this two or three times, He had no sign of drink on him."

The jury returned a verdict that the deceased was drowned by the upsetting of the boat Fanny. They fully exonerated the man Thompson from blame. They added a rider, calling attention to the necessity of the building of a proper landing-place at Point Henry.

Blashki's brother is to be questioned respecting a statement made in the Geelong Advertiser, that he fell into the belly of the sail just before the accident, and the passengers, thinking he had gone overboard, rushed to one side, and so upset the boat.

 Australian Town and Country Journal 13 June 1874

Australian Hermit.

THE Geelong Advertiser reports that while constable Band was searching the beach for the unfortunate collector Griger who drowned himself on Saturday last, his attention was arrested by a deep hole, apparently the mouth of a cave in the face of the precipitous cliffs that overhang the beach of Cowie's Creek. The cave was about thirty feet from the beach beneath. Proceeding through a small entrance the constable found himself in a commodious chamber, from which the light of day was almost effectually screened. As he looked round he perceived the outlines of an uncouth-looking object huddled up in one corner. Approaching the figure he was astonished to find a human being. The man stated that he had made his home in the cave for many months. He had no bedding, no food, or cooking utensils. The man was arrested, taken to the watchhouse, and detained on a charge of lunacy, under the name of John Hamilton. The would-be hermit is about forty-five   years of age, is of good personal appearance, and states that he lived on the few fish with which the fishermen in the locality occasionally supplied him in return for his services in hunting stingrays and other dangerous monsters of the deep.

Kilmore Free Press 11 October 1877

BURNT TO DEATH. A frightful accident, which terminated fatally, occurred at Cowie's Creek yesterday afternoon. The details of the occurrence which resulted in the death of a child two years and nine months old, named James Duffy, are as follow:- It appears that yesterday afternoon, shortly after one o'clock, the deceased child was at his parents' residence at Cowie's Creek, in company with his mother. The latter left the house for a while to go to the creek to get water, the boy remaining in the kitchen. Whilst Mrs Duffy was away, she heard screams coming from the direction of the house, and hurrying back, she found the child lying down in the yard with its clothes in flames. She immediately threw water over him, and on  extinguishing the fire, immediately applied remedies. A conveyance was procured at once, and the child put into it, and driven to the Hospital. On arrival there, the medical men pronounced the case to be a hopeless one, the little fellow's body being burned all over, so badly, that it emitted a smell like the odor of fried meat. Every effort was made to resuscitate the little sufferer, but he never rallied, and died about three o'clock, about one hour after his admission. The mother of the deceased states t


at he was in the habit of playing with the fire, and had ignited pieces of wood at the fire and ran out in the open air with them. It is supposed that in doing this yesterday, deceased's clothes caught fire, and before assistance could reach him, had resulted in his death. The boy Duffy, who is awaiting trial for placing obstructions on the railway line, is a brother of the deceased child. -Geelong'Advertiser..     

 Australian Town and Country Journal 19 April 1879

Foxes have recently been seen at the Brisbane ranges and the Anakies; one, says the BACCHUS MARSH EXPRESS, was shot in the You Yangs a few days ago, and another seen in the hills adjoining, amongst a mob of sheep. Several have been seen at Cowie's Creek and the north shore, and it is quite common to see them on the plains fronting the beach, between the Little River and the Werribee. The acclimatised vermin are beginning to commit sad havoc amongst farmers' poultry.

The Argus 24 December 1879

A magisterial inquiry was held at the Steampacket Hotel today, by Mr R Gillespie, JP, on the body of David Taylor,   found in the bay on the previous day. A witness named Richard Dunn stated that he was with the deceased at about 5 o'clock on Saturday night when they had a drink together. John Darnely, farmer, of Cowies Creek, stated that the deceased was his cousin   and had been living with him for some time. He left the deceased in town on Saturday night, when he had £3 in his possession. He was given to drink. A decision was given to the effect that the body was found drowned, but there was no evidence to show how the deceased got into the water

The Argus 22 November 1880

On Saturday afternoon a couple of boys who were out in the direction of Cowies Creek noticed the body of a man floating in the lagoon near the creek, and they reported the matter to the police in Geelong. It is believed that the body is that of the unfortunate man Francis Jose, who was drowned   in a sudden squall from out of a boat in that locality last Monday

Portland Guardian 22 July 1884

At the Geelong Court today, Phillip Looker, farmer, residing at Cowie's Creek, was fined 10s. for creating a disturbance with the Salvation Army. He appeared to be suffering from religious excitement. He said he was the man of God. He refused to pay the fine, preferring to become a martyr.

Alexandra and Yea Standard 18 March 1887


Information was given to the police at Geelong on Wednesday by a farmer and road contractor named Stephen Tanner that he had accidently killed his son, Leonard Paul Tanner. at his residence at Cowie's Creek. The man was in a terrible distressed state, and carried with him in his buggy the body of the boy, which was taken to the morgue, and there an inquest was held on Wednesday by the deputy coroner (Mr. Maude) and a jury of thirteen. According to the evidence adduced Mr. Tanner was about leaving his wife and family in order to go to work on a road contract early in the morning, and had bid them all good bye, as he did not expect to return before Saturday evening. When he was leaving, his wife called out to him to take away with him a cat which caused her annoyance, and to turn it adrift near his work. He returned to the house, caught the cat near the fireplace, but owing to the animal biting and scratching his hands he let it go. The cat escaped on to the roof of the stable away from the house, and Mr. Tanner picked up half a brick to dislodge it. In the meantime, unknown to Mr. Tanner, his son Leonard got on to the roof of a pigsty behind the stable, and was about to stand up when Mr. Tanner threw the brick at the cat; the animal evaded it, and the missile struck the boy on the crown of the head. A shriek by Mrs. Tanner caused her husband to run round the building to ascertain the cause, when he saw her lifting the lifeless body of his son off the roof of the sty, and blood flowing from the boy's head. A doctor was seen in Geelong as soon as possible, but life had been extinct half an hour. The cause of death was compression of the brain, produced by extravasation of blood and depressed fracture of the cranium. The jury found that deceased was accidentally killed by a piece of brick thrown at a cat by the father and not otherwise.

The Argus 5 March 1889




Lara, In the Protestant-hall, at 7 p.m., on Thurs-

day, March 6.

At Cowie's Creek. In the Corio Shire Hotel, on

Friday, March 7.

At Werribee, in the Mechanics' Institute, at 7 p.m.,

on Saturday, March 8.

Other Meetings will be Advertised Later.


Queenscliff Sentinel 17 May 1890

DEATHS. WELLARD.--On the 13th May, at Hesse street, Queenscliff, Mary, the beloved wife of James Wellard, and eldest daughter of the late Charles Lawless, of Cowie's Creek. Aged 26. R.I.P.

The Argus 1 December 1891

This afternoon an inquiry was held at the hospital on the body of Peter Boylan, the man who was knocked down by a train between Lara and Cowies Creek on Friday morning and who died from the injuries received. It was clearly stated by the locomotive driver that he saw the deceased lying with his head on the rail when the train was 50 yards away, but the train could not be stopped in time and Boylan was thrown off the line by the cow catcher. The decision of the magistrate was to the effect that Boylan died from injuries to the brain caused by being struck by the engine, but there was no evidence to show how the deceased had got on the line of railway

The Argus Melbourne 30 July 1892



The members of the North Shore Improvement Association, who have the interests of the Cowie's Creek district closely at heart, held an Arbor Day on the Esplanade in the vicinity of the creek today. There was a large assemblage of spectators, as well as workers and persons anxious to plant trees in the vicinity. The park reserved for the public, and which commands a splendid view of the bay, was formally named Armytage park, as a compliment to Mr. Harry Armytage, M.L.A., and a large number of trees were planted in the loamy soil. Among the dedicated trees were those to the mayors of Geelong, Newtown and Chilwell, and Geelong West, the presidents of the Corio Shire Council, the Hon. J. H. Connor and S Austin, M.L.C.'s, Mr. J. R. Hopkins and Mr. Charles Andrews, M.L.A.'s. Mrs. Connor, lady mayoress of Geelong, Mrs. G. M. Hitchcock, and many other ladies and gentlemen.

The Argus Melbourne 20 February 1893



A sale of land at the new township which is being established at the north shore near Cowies Creek, took place this afternoon. About forty allotments were submitted, and nearly the whole were disposed of at prices ranging from 5s to 22s per foot. The total amount realised was £1,260. A new jetty is in course of construction at the township, and, in the absence of Mr. Armytage, M.L.A., the ceremony of driving one of the piles of the bridge was performed by Councillor George Martin, ex mayor of Geelong.

The Argus Melbourne 27 July 1893



The Plate and Puppy Stake meeting of the Geelong and District Coursing Club was commenced to-day on the Avalon Estate at the North Shore. There was a large attendance of spectators, and a great deal of interest was taken in the meeting. Hares were fairly numerous but only the first round and first ties of the Geelong Plate, for 20 all-aged greyhounds, and the first round of the Puppy stakes, for 16 puppies, were run off to-day.

The Argus Melbourne 6 April 1896



The new jetty constructed at the north shore by the Western and Wimmera Districts of Victoria Freezing Company has been completed. To-day it was used for the first time, when the steamer Edina made an excursion trip with a number of passengers from Geelong. The freezing company's premises are almost completed, and the visitors were, with the assistance of the company's secretary (Mr. James), shown through the extensive establishment, and all were highly pleased. The works are expected to be in full swing towards the close of August or beginning of September The sea approach to the premises is considered first class, and no great difficulty is anticipated in the loading of steamers and ships with the frozen carcasses of sheep direct from the freezing chambers by means of a wire rope stretching from the packing chamber to the ships lying alongside the wharf.

The Horsham Times 25 August 1896

The first lot of sheep for export through the Western and Wimmera Company's works were killed at North Shore on Wednesday, says the Geelong Advertiser, and stored in the freezing chamber to await shipment by the steamer Gulf of Bothnia, which will call at Geelong for 10,000 carcasses about the middle of September. The sheep are being put through at the rate of 500 daily, and it is anticipated that the works will be continuously in operation for five months from the present time. The machinery is running with the utmost smoothness, and the chief engineer at the establishment was surprised at the rapidity with which the temperature in the freezing chamber was reduced to below zero.

Portland Guardian 21 September 1896

The s.s. Gulf of Bothina took 10,000 carcasses of sheep to England on Saturday from the Geelong North Shore Freezing Works. This was the first shipment of the company. The vessel was loaded by the frozen carcasses of mutton being shot along a wire rope from the freezing works to the steamer at the wharf at North Shore, at the rate of 10 to the minute.

The Argus Melbourne 27 November 1896


A resident of the North Shore, named Le Broc, had a narrow escape from being drowned in Corio Bay this afternoon. He was sailing a boat from Geelong to the North Shore about 1.45 p.m, when a sudden squall, which swept over the bay, capsized the boat a mile away from the meat freezing company’s jetty. The man clung to the side of the overturned vessel till he was rescued in an exhausted condition. The boat was afterwards towed ashore.

The Argus Melbourne 27 April 1897


The chief inspector of fisheries (Mr. A. Wilson) visited Geelong on Monday, and met the representatives of the anglers and the net fishermen, in reference to the proposed prohibition of netting near the lagoon at the north shore of Corio Bay. The anglers and fishermen were introduced by Mr. Gurr, M.L.A. After a close examination of a chart produced by Mr. Wilson and a general discussion as to the use of nets in the bay it was decided to agree to a compromise, and that the bay for a quarter of a mile outside the existing line at the north shore be reserved against netting.

Be part of this website