From the 1920s to today
Up to 1900
1911 - 1920
1921 - 1930
1931 - 1935
1936 - 1940
1941 - 1945
1946 - 1950
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1971 - 1975
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1986
1901 - 1910

The Argus 9 March 1901




The matter of enlarging the pier accommodation at this port was discussed to-day by a special committee of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce, over which Mr. J. Blakiston presided. The secretary (Mr. E. Bechervaise) expressed strong approval of the scheme outlined by Mr. Mathieson for the handling of the grain traffic at North Shore, where the water is deep enough to permit of wharves being built parallel with the shore. He estimated that ships of large capacity could be loaded there in three days, through shoots from the cliffs along that part of the bay.

There is, moreover, a large area of land for storage within a few hundred yards of the railway line, and handy to the North Geelong yards, from which the delivery of wheat at the present piers is hampered by the passenger, goods, and coal traffic on the stretch of intervening line. Messrs W.F.Davis and D. Strachan were deputed to interview the departmental authorities on the subject.

The Argus Melbourne 6 December 1902


The first shipment for the season of frozen mutton from the freezing works at North Shore was taken on hoard on Friday by the steamer Orange Branch. The carcasses, to the number of between 9,000 and 10,000, are bound for South African ports.

The Argus Melbourne 17 March 1903


LE BROCQ.—On the 16th March, 1903 at his residence, North Shore, near Geelong, Jocelyn Stanford le Brocq, the beloved husband of Mary Jane le Brocq, aged 61 years.

The Argus Melbourne 18 February 1904


GEELONG, Wednesday. - A married man named Edward Thomson, 45 years of age, residing at North Shore, who has been ill for some time, wandered from his home on Wednesday afternoon. His body was subsequently found in a waterhole, about a quarter of a mile from a house where he had been half an hour previously. The matter was reported to the coroner, and an inquiry ordered.

The Horsham Times 7 July 1905


The Premier, Mr. Bent, proposed to visit Geelong next Monday in connection with the proposed harbor improvements.

Barrier Miner Broken Hill 2 January 1908


Phaeton Collides with Train. Father and Daughter Killed.

Others Seriously Injured.

Melbourne, Tuesday

William Palmer, of Newtown, was yesterday driving a pair of ponies in a phaeton from North Shore, Geelong, with his five children, after spending an afternoon at the beach, when he collided with the express train to Melbourne, and the phaeton was thrown into a cattle pit, and filled with water. The father was struck on the head by the locomotive. The engine driver found him with his skull injured, and blood streaming from his nostrils and ears. He died within a few minutes after the accident. His daughter Marie (12) was taken out of the cattle pit dead. She had been mangled by the train, then drowned. Frank (11) was stunned, Kathleen (3) had a fractured shoulder, and Gwennie (16) lacerated wounds on the head. Ian (18) was also suffering from injuries to the head. The dead bodies were taken to the morgue and the others to the hospital.

Sunday Times Perth 5 January 1908

Railway Accident Tragic

Apportioning the Blame

MELBOURNE, Saturday.

The Premier has received a report from the Railway Commissioners regarding the collision between the express and a phaeton at North Shore, Geelong, several days ago, when Mr. Palmer (who was driving the phaeton) and his daughter were killed and three children injured. The report states that Palmer was responsible, as he whipped up the ponies to try and cross the rails in front of the train.

Barrier Mine Broken Hill 6 January 1908



Melbourne, Saturday.

The Premier, Mr. T. Bent, has received a report from the Railway Commissioners that a tragedy occurred on the North Shore, Geelong, to-day, when a buggy and a pair of ponies, driven by Mr. Palmer, collided with the express train. Mr. Palmer and his daughter were killed and the three children injured. The Commissioners state that Mr. Palmer flogged the ponies to try to cross in front of the engine.

The Argus Melbourne 15 January 1908


There are between 25,000 and 30,000 carcasses of frozen Iambs in the North Shore Freezing Works, and arrangements are being made for their shipment in the course of about a week's time.

The Advertiser Adelaide 8 August 1908




Melbourne. August 7.

The action in which Catherine McPhee Palmer sued the Railway Commissioners for £2,000 damages for the death of her husband, who was killed by a train while driving a phaeton over the North Shore, Geelong, railway, was concluded to-day, when the jury awarded the plaintiff £1,000 and four members of her family £125 each, a total of £1,500.

The Argus 17 September 1908



GEELONG, Wednesday, -This morning the Scottish fishermen’s delegates, who arrived in Geelong on the previous evening, were met by representatives of the local fishermen’s union and obtained information regarding fishing in Corio Bay. During their stay the delegates were taken overland at North Shore which it was pointed out would be suitable for workmen’s homes. It is however hardly probable that anything in the way of settlement will take place at Geelong as the delegates are greatly impressed with the suitability of Spencer’s Gulf for the establishment of their proposed works for the canning and utilisation of waste products and the manufacture of oils and fertilisers. The party left for Melbourne subsequent to an inspection of the saltworks at Moolap.

The West Australian Perth 14 April 1909





Melbourne, April 13.

A terrible and unusual accident happened this afternoon when a huge frame building, two storeys in height, which was in course of construction at the North Shore, about four miles from Geelong, was suddenly blown down by a fierce squall of wind. The workmen employed on the building were scattered all over it. Most of them were at work on the roof, when without warning of any sort they were hurled to the ground with the heavy timber of the building, which was all twisted and smashed. Fifteen out of 30 men employed were seriously injured and two of them have since died from their injuries. The list of victims as shown by the hospital lists is as follows:-

Dead - Michael Gleeson, Mercer street. Geelong, and Robert Nicholson, Fernleigh-street Chilwell. Gleeson, who was unmarried, died about half an hour after admission to the hospital. His injuries were a fracture of the base of the skull and fractured ribs.

The injured were :- Harry Orchard, Henry Bates. Ernest Randolph, Schwetasch, Thomas Brown, George King, Thomas Rose. Percy Smith, and Timothy Guisane Tyack. Considerable difficulty is being experienced in ascertaining the full names and addresses of some of the sufferers, who cannot themselves be interrogated because of their condition. The most serious case is that of Orchard, who has concussion of the brain, a terrible wound on the forehead, and injuries to the hand and shoulder. He is a married man with a large family. Besides those named above others of whom no close record was kept attended and had their injuries dressed, after which they went to their homes and lodgings.

The building was being erected for the Oriental Timber Co., a firm which has undertaken the importation of milling Russian timber on a large scale. The building was of wood and was 238ft. long and 60ft. wide. It was two-storeyed, the roof being 28ft. from the ground. The machinery was to be placed on the floor of the second storey and the flooring had already been put in. Exceptionally strong timber was used in the construction of the building, but the method employed for the foundations was peculiar. Blocks of cement were set in the ground. In each of these cement blocks was fixed an iron peg about one inch in diameter. These pegs projected 3in. or 4in, above the level of the cement and fitted into holes prepared in the ends of the upright wooden pillars, which bore the weight of the building. These pillars were not secured in any other way and when the building was up it simply stood on the uprights, which were kept from slipping off the cement blocks by the iron pegs. The building, as it stood this afternoon, was simply a huge skeleton with the heavy floor spreading across the centre. It was to this floor and the sail-like resistance it offered to the wind that the accident was due. Owing to the strong wind the foreman of the building, J. Crisp, had decided that it was too dangerous to allow the men to remain on the building, and at about half-past 3 o'clock he warned them to cease work. They were just finishing off the poles they were employed on and making everything secure so that nothing loose might be left for the wind to affect when the collapse came.


Be part of this website