HOME PAGEFAMILY STORIESPhoto AlbumsNEWSPAPER ARTICLESCLUBS AND ORGANISATIONS ROLLS, PHONES, RATESHTML Page
From the 1920s to today
Up to 1900
1901 - 1910
1911 - 1920
1921 - 1930
1931 - 1935
1936 - 1940
1941 - 1945
1946 - 1950
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1986
1971 - 1975

0pinion/Features    Geelong Advertiser  March 21, 1990

Where there was smoke, there was …whiskey

Compiled by PETER BEGG

It seems difficult to im­agine today that the well­being of an industry might be gauged by the ex­tent of smoke emerging from its chimney.

But such was the philosophy in 1929, when the Corio distil­lery was officially opened on this day in March.

The opening was performed by Mr William H. Ross, the chairman of the parent com­pany, The Distillers Company Limited, of Scotland.

Mr Ross, a Scotsman him­self, opened the distillery with the Scottish phrase: "Lang may its lum reek", which roughly translated means "long may its chimney smoke".

The Geelong Advertiser reported ­the next day that Geelong could be proud of the new industry.

"It is truly an important industry for the district, as an inspection by various citizens made evident yesterday,” the Advertiser said.

"A special train brought 250 Melbourne and interstate visi­tors to the handsomely appointed works for the open­ing ceremony, while many others travelled by car from Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat and other districts to partici­pate in the function.

"There was a large crowd of official guests in attendance shortly after 11.30 am, when the music of the St Augustine's Band attracted them to a posi­tion in front of the Excise Department.

"There a display of bunting marked the importance of the occasion, and from that posi­tion the opening ceremony was performed.”

The actual manufacture of whisky at the Corio plant started three days before, with the first whisky to run off the line being a grain whisky.

Corio's first malt whisky was made in the week ending April 26 of the same year, and was stored in wooden casks to mature.

Because the whisky could not be sold until it was mature (it sat in casks of American white oak for five years) the distillery also made gin for immediate sale.

The first Corio Whisky was placed on the market in 1934, and the company boasted that it tasted more like Scotch whisky than any produced elsewhere in the world.

When Corio's 5‑Star whis­ky was first made in 1956, it won the first prize and championship at that year's Sydney Royal Easter Show.

The large pot stills which were constructed to specifications of the Distillers Company of Edinburgh, were installed in 1949.

These pot stills have been maintained at the distillery as a showpiece by the current owners.

Smoke no longer “reeks” from the Corio distillery, having been replaced late last year by radio waves from Geelong’s first commercial FM station, BAY-FM.


HOME PAGEFAMILY STORIESPhoto AlbumsNEWSPAPER ARTICLESCLUBS AND ORGANISATIONS ROLLS, PHONES, RATESHTML Page
Be part of this website