The Argus Melbourne 20 February 1926
GEELONG AND DISTRICT
Having completed dredging for the Ford wharf at North Shore, the Geelong Harbour Trust is having the dredging plant overhauled preparatory to undertaking dredging adjacent to the railway pier.
Mr. Alexander Johnstone, aged 50 years, married, of Drumcondra, sub manager and designer at the Federal Woollen Mills, went to his office at the mills on Friday morning, and soon afterwards was discovered in a state of collapse. Before the arrival of a doctor he had died. The coroner has been notified.
The Horsham Times 18 May 1926
Freezing Works on Fire.
A fire at Fletcher's freezing works, North Shore. Geelong destroyed the two-storey works. The damage is estimated at £50.000. The cause is unknown.
The Argus Melbourne 26 June 1926
GEELONG AND DISTRICT.
Before Mr. D. W. O’Grady, P.M., and a bench of honorary magistrates in the City Court to- day, Benjamin John Merritt, a young man employed as a labourer at North Shore, was charged with having on February 27 last committed bigamy. He was committed for trial at the Supreme Court on August 12. Bail was fixed at £100.
On Friday four doctors (two attached to the Federal Health department, one to the Health Commission and one to the Factories department) inspected the Ford Motor plant at North Shore.
Owing to the extensive industrial development at North Shore, combined with the growth of the residential area, the Waterworks and Sewerage Trust on Friday night decided to provide an independent water supply for the area. This will be done by laying a 9½ inch main from the Lovely Banks service station to the Bacchus Marsh junction. Smaller mains will then be run to the different areas to be served. The estimated cost is £6,500.
Portland Guardian 6 September 1926
MELBOURNE. This Day.
E. Bell, aged 24 years, an air pilot, crashed at the north shore, Geelong, on Sunday morning, when attempting to land. He died in hospital.
The Argus Melbourne 23 September 1926
SHAREHOLDERS VISIT WORKS.
Benefit to Producers.
About 150 shareholders, from all parts of Victoria, accepted the invitation of the directors of the Phosphate Co-operative Co. of Australia Ltd. to visit the works at North Shore, Geelong, by special train yesterday. After inspecting the site of 50 acres abutting on Corio Bay, they were escorted over the plant by the general manager (Mr. A. Wolskel).
Mr. Hill, M.H.R. (chairman of directors), in addressing the visitors, recalled that the company was formed in the unsettled period immediately after the war, when it was thought that there would probably be about 4,000 shareholders. At the prices then ruling the capital appeared to be sufficient for the works to cope with their fertiliser requirements. The cost of construction, however, advanced enormously, and, owing to the decision of the majority of shareholders to take the minimum number of shares, more than 8,000 shareholders were required to subscribe the necessary capital. The directors had always taken the stand that the company was to be self supporting, and that no construction was to be commenced until the money was in hand to pay for it. At the end of the last financial year, no less than £25,000 was due to the company in overdue calls. In the most marked cases, the directors recently had reluctantly been forced to take the step of forfeiting share holdings. When the company was formed it was the only fertiliser company outside the combine. It still was the only co-operative fertiliser company in Australia. It could confidently be claimed on its behalf that the fact that it was in the field had benefited producers enormously by preventing an increase in the cost of superphosphate. The works had been designed under the supervision of the general manager on the latest American and German systems of mass production, and would be operated with a minimum of man power. General satisfaction was expressed by visitors, and cheers were given for the directorate and management.
The Argus Melbourne 25 September 1926
Organising Ford's Employees.
Efforts are being made by the trade union movement to organise the employees at Ford's motor works at Geelong. When permission was sought recently from the management to hold a meeting of the men at the factory in the lunch hour, however, the request was refused. The acting secretary of the Melbourne Trades Hall Council (Mr. M. B. Duffy) said yesterday that in conjunction with the Geelong Trades Hall Council a delegation from Melbourne would address the men outside the firm's premises on Monday at the lunch hour for the purpose of endeavouring to enrol all employees in their respective unions. At present there was a fair number of the employees there who were members of unions covering their different trades, but it was desired to make the works practically 100 per cent. unionists, similar to most of the large motor-building establishments in Australia. Mr. Duffy added that the refusal to allow representatives of the Trades Hall Councils to address the men on the works in the lunch hour was contrary to the general experience with the other large manufacturing employers. While employers generally did not say that the men must join the unions, they usually granted facilities for them to be approached on the subject at their work.
The Argus 16 November 1926
GEELONG AND DISTRICT
Recently an application was made to the Corio Shire Council to have the name of North Shore changed so that it would avoid mistakes with North Shore (Sydney) or North Geelong. After discussing the suggestion, the North Shore Progress Association has decided to oppose any alteration.
Geraldton Guardian 2 December 1926
STRIKE AT GEELONG.
130 MEN CEASE WORK
Melbourne, Dec. 1.
One hundred and thirty men struck at the North Shore Phosphate Company's works at Geelong to-day, the trouble being over the rates of pay for laborers waiting on tradesmen
engaged in building operations. Unless a settlement is reached, 200 more men will be thrown out of work.
The Argus Melbourne 3 December 1926
Parties Reach Settlement.
At a conference between representatives of the parties in Melbourne yesterday a settlement, was affected of the strike of the employees at the works of the Co-operative Phosphate Company of Australia, at Geelong. More than 100 men were involved, embracing carpenters, lead burners, riggers, and labourers. Following upon the decision of a meeting held on Wednesday night the dispute was extended to the engineers, boiler-makers, and, fitters, 54 of whom ceased work yesterday.
Representatives of the Geelong Trades Hall disputes committee and the unions concerned met members of the board of management at the Melbourne offices of the company yesterday afternoon, when proposals for a settlement of the dispute were agreed to, subject to confirmation by the men affected. The terms of settlement were not disclosed by the company.
Union officials last night stated that the terms of settlement agreed upon at the conference covering the employees at the works of the Phosphate Company at North Shore, Geelong, were as follows:
“That the classification of all labourers be submitted to arbitration, in terms of the company’s letter to Mr. Brownbill, M.L.A., on November 29, the arbitrator to determine what amount was underpaid by the company, if any, in each case, his decision to be retrospective in the case of men employed in the sulphur burner house to July 1, 1926; and also in the case of men assisting lead burners, and men engaged in sorting and grinding bricks, but no others. These terms of settlement to be subject to lend burners and all other men now on strike resuming work on Monday, December 6, and also subject to the acceptance by the men concerned at the Geelong works.”
Meeting of Men Called.
GEELONG. Thursday.- A meeting of the men on strike will be held at the Trades Hall tomorrow morning, at half past l0 o'clock, to consider the result of the conference deliberations. Union officials expect that the strike will be called off and that the men will return to work on Monday.
The Argus Melbourne 4 December 1926
MOLONEY - On the 1st December, at Koonara Private hospital, Geelong, to Mr and Mrs P Moloney, of Ottawa, North Shore, Geelong (and formerly of Aneroid, Canada) - a daughter (Marcia).
The Argus Melbourne 25 January 1927
REAL ESTATE AND BUILDING
North Shore, Geelong,
H. C. Costello and Co. (H. C. Costello, auctioneer) in conjunction with Hendy, Leary, and Company, Geelong, report having held a successful sale of the Connor Estate, situated on Corio Bay at North Shore. There was a gathering of more than 500 people. In all 32 lots were disposed of, the prices realised being from £2/9/- to £3/5/- a foot on Sea Beach parade; £1/8/- to £1/14/- in Beatty street; £2/2/ in Walch's load; and £1/10/- to £1/12/6 in Coane street.
Geelong Advertiser 18 March 1927
North Shore Progress Association
First Annual Meeting
At the first annual meeting of the North Shore Progress Association, Mr A. F. Taylor, vice-president, occupied the chair. There was a good attendance of members. The secretary read a full report he had prepared of the Association’s activities during the period since its inception. This was received and adopted. The treasurer reported on the financial position of the Association and is to submit a balance sheet at next meeting.
The election of office-bearers resulted in the appointment of Mr. K. A. Millard as president, and Messrs. A. F. Taylor and H. Gourley, vice-presidents; Messrs. A. Finnegan, W. Bickerton, W. Townley, H. Trethowan, G.D. Smith, F. J Brookes as committee-men: D. McClure, secretary; W. Clarke, assistant secretary.
The following additions and new rules were agreed upon: - Rule 12 had the following words added to it: - “Shall have control of property other than that vested in the bathing box and reserve committee.” All cheques drawn by the association to be by the president, secretary, or treasurer, of which there must be at least two of their signatures thereon.
Mr. P. C. Wildman suggested arranging social gatherings; this matter was deferred for future consideration.
Moved by Mr. W. Townley and seconded by Mr. A. P. Thompson, a vote of thanks was passed and a minute ordered to be placed on the minute book in appreciation of the services of Mr. W. G. Madden, who had acted as hon. Secretary since the formation of the Association. He had declined to accept a further term of office owing to the increased business he was doing demanding more of his time than ever. This was supported by Mr. Geo. Evans and Mr. K. A. Millard, the president. Mr. Townley said that the secretary’s report was a masterpiece, and he was really the Progress Association in himself.
Mr. Madden returned thanks and urged members to take an optimistic view of the future of the district and back up their Municipal Council in its work. He moved a hearty vote of thanks to the retiring officers who had so loyally supported him; this was seconded by Mr. P. Maloney, and carried with acclamation.
The annual report read as follows:-
The inaugural meeting of persons who felt interested in the formation of a Progress Association at North Shore was held in the old Presbyterian Church building at that place on 10th March 1926. Cr. Geo. Evans presided, and it was decided to obtain a draft of rules that would be suitable for governing same. Mr. W. G. Madden was appointed secretary pro tem. At a subsequent meeting held on 16th March 1926, the Association was duly founded by the present set of rules being adopted and officers appointed. The Association arranged to meet every month, and there has been an attendance of from 18 to 25 at each meeting. The membership roll comprises 50 members, of whom 41 have paid up their subscriptions for the year.
At the outset the Association set about endeavouring to acquire for North Shore benefits that it was not previously enjoying, and the result has been that we can heartily congratulate ourselves on the wonderful measure of success that we have met with; clearly showing what can be achieved by unity of action, and working in harmony with the various public and semi-public bodies.
Amongst some of the more noteworthy matters that have been obtained is the erection of two substantially built concrete bathing boxes, fitted with fresh water showers, drinking tap in the reserve, cutting of ramp in the cliff to provide easy access to the beach, repairs to shelter shed, and by means of proper representation to the Geelong Water and Sewerage Trust, the sewerage system has been installed in the township area earlier than what was expected.
The Melbourne Electric Supply Company have installed high tension mains, and same are connected to the Australian Co-operative Phosphate Company, and also a breaking down station has been provided, and some of the houses are now lit by electricity, and the company is shortly to extend their services into several private streets in the township area. Your Association has been agitating for the Corio Shire Council to provide street lighting also. The Water Trust has also given an improved service in the district, and a splendid pressure is available by means of three-inch mains, one of which was laid during the year in Myrtle Grove.
A visit has been paid to the township twice during the past year by officers of the Country Fire Brigade Board and the Geelong City Brigade, and if a site is provided, it is fairly certain that a brigade equipment would be supplied; this would help in fire prevention and lessen the cost of fire insurance premiums, and during the coming year should not be lost sight of, also the formation of a voluntary Fire Brigade Corps.
Through the energy of some of the staff associated with Ford’s enterprise, a Life Saving Patrol has been established and several of our members give their services during the period when there are a number of persons bathing, in keeping a watchful eye over bathers so as to render assistance in the event of any of them getting into difficulties. Through the courtesy of the Geelong Harbour Trust the old jetty has been effectively repaired, a life-buoy provided on same, the children’s swings placed in good order, and a bathing stage and spring-board provided.
Formerly the children of the district had to walk either to the North Geelong or Cowies Creek State School, but as a result of agitation, and with the co-operation and support of Inspector Grey and Mr. E. Morley, M.L.A., a school was established in June last in the old Presbyterian Church building by the Education Department with an opening attendance of 17 children; the attendance is now 50, and has proved a great boon to children and parents. A school committee was formed amongst residents, and as the population of the district has advanced so quickly it was found that a permanent school with modern conveniences was required, your Association co-operated with the school committee in urging that a new school be built on a site that had been provided by the Ford Estates Syndicate, and we are in receipt of information that the Department are preparing plans of a building in brick to seat at least 120 children, and that the matter is being treated as urgent.
Further recognition of the growing importance of the district is furnished by the Postal Department providing telephone and telegraph facilities at your Post Office, and the provision by the State Electoral Department of a polling booth for the first time at North Shore, which will be used during the forthcoming elections; the Federal Returning Officer for Corio has also favourably recommended such to his Department.
An effort was made by a local industry to have the name of the township changed to some other, on the ground of confusion with a similar name in New South Wales. The Corio Council asked for an opinion from your Association, and after a lengthy debate, it was resolved unanimously for the name to remain as it is, it being felt that with a little care on the part of those addressing letters or goods, there should be no cause for objection to the present name.
The Victorian Railways gave courteous consideration to a request from your members for the 8.8 a.m. up express train to stop for a few minutes at North Geelong, to pick up passengers from North Geelong, North Shore and Corio, as it would enable them to reach Melbourne at an earlier berth for business, but the Department could not see its way clear to accede to the request, maintaining that the succeeding 8.20 a.m. train stopped at all stations. A culvert at the entrance to the railway station at North Shore that was unprotected, has since been provided with a guard rail as a result of a request to the Council, who have also urged the Road Users’ Association to provide a a direction finger post at Ford’s corner indicating the way to the station and the beach.
The Geelong Harbour Trust brought forward a matter of great importance to North Shore during negotiations with the Corio Shire Council regarding the widening of the main Melbourne road, and Mr. J. H. Grey, the secretary of the Trust, kindly came to one of our meetings and gave a most instructive address, and further enlightened members on the scheme by means of plans; it was for a new road to be constructed, commencing on the east side of the Separation Street railway bridge and continuing towards North Shore over the arm of the sea by means of a bridge, and coming out on to the Esplanade Road, it would also be of great benefit to the industries on the foreshore; the estimated cost was £20,000, and the Harbour Trust was prepared to donate £10,000 on certain conditions; this road would subsequently link up with the scenic road proposed by your secretary some years ago, which would follow the coastline and enter again on to the main Melbourne-Geelong road near the Hume Obelisk at the Duck Ponds Bridge. Your Association decided to give its unanimous support and assistance to further the scheme; a complete report regarding same is in your minutes.
During the year the Association considered the district had a neglected appearance owing to the extensive growth of boxthorn and took steps to have such trimmed or cut out; we appreciate the support given by the Noxious Weeds and Vermin Destruction Department of the Government, and the district inspector and his staff in having the matter attended to; thus giving the area a mor up-to-date look.
Complaints had been made regarding the unsuitability of the motor ’bus time table, and as result of efforts made, there are now two lines of motor ‘bus services runni9ng to and from the township and giving satisfaction. During the past few weeks and estate known as “Costelloe’s” was subdivided and sold at auction, and fetched prices considerably in excess of what was paid for land in the vicinity about three years ago. The block in question, it was hoped, would have been obtained by the Corio Shire Council for use as a recreation ground, but the price, £600 per acre, asked by the owners thereof, was not entertained by the Council, despite the fact that the strongest deputation that has ever waited upon the Council, urged the purchase of same. Your members are still keen upon a site being secured, and another effort is being made, and with that end in view, a petition is being prepared for presentation by a deputation to the Council. It is felt by the members that they will ultimately succeed in obtaining a reserve, as it is known that the Council is very sympathetically inclined to the proposal. Very interesting addresses were delivered at a meeting of your Association by Lieut.-Col. Purnell, Messrs A. E. Anderson and Hope of the Town Planning Association. They spoke most enthusiastically regarding the situation and natural advantages of the township and its beautiful surroundings, and we very much appreciate their advice and general remarks thereon.
At Costelloe’s sale, several ladies and others assisted your Association to conduct two stalls for the sale of light refreshments in aid of our fund for beach improvements, and we are deeply indebted to Mr. and Mrs. Maloney for the use of their garage and the assistance of those who so kindly came forward to help. The glasses hired for the occasion we decided to purchase for future use. A committee has also been formed to devise ways and means of procuring further money by means of entertainments, etc.
We feel deeply indebted to the “Geelong Advertiser” for the very full reports of our meetings and assistance generally in helping the progress of North Shore, also to the Corio Shire Council for their donation of twenty pounds; W.G. Madden, for £20; Bay View Estate Syndicate, per Mr. M. H. Wright, £2/2/-; Mr. D. McGruer, 10/6; also Mr. A. R. Whitchurch for large spirit lamp for the meeting hall; Mr. Gourley for signboard and iron rods and paint brushes; Mr. Crafter, wooden studs; Cr. G. Evans, quantity of lime and payment for work done repairing reserve fence; Mr. Millard, timber, Mr. Finnegan and Mr. McGruer, sheets of iron.
Services given gratuitously in labour were rendered more particularly by Messrs. Brookes, Smith, Morris, Trethowan, A. F. Taylor, P. C. Wildman and W. Maskell, and to them our best thanks are due.
During the past year the Association urged the Corio Shire Council to construct roads in the township area, as owing to the number of houses being built the drainage thereof lying in unmade streets was likely to cause sickness. We are glad to know that the Council have prepared plans and estimates for road construction, etc., at an estimated cost of £15,000, and tenders for same are likely to be let at an early date.
It is satisfactory to know that when the Co-operative Phosphate Company Works (which we understand will be the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere) are in full working order, that there is a likelihood of several of their employees taking advantage of the city advantages that North Shore township will shortly possess, such as made roads and footpaths, in addition to electric light, town water supply and sewerage, which is at present obtainable. Numbers of Ford employees are residing in the district, and it is confidently hoped that with the advent of other industries in the near future, a further increase will take place in the population, and further strengthen the personnel and funds of your Association.
Owing to the large increase of persons and picnickers visiting North Shore since the bathing boxes have been installed, your Association requested the Corio Council to provide in the Beach Reserve, public conveniences built of brick and sewered. The Council have, we understand, obtained an estimate of costs of around £200, and consideration has been deferred. These conveniences, however, are essential to the place. Name of residents were submitted by the Progress Association to the Council and Harbour Trust for approval as committees of management of the bathing boxes and reserve and were approved by same.
A subscription was opened for the sufferers from the Tornado that caused devastation in the Belmont district, and a sum of £2/2/- was obtained and forwarded with a letter of sympathy.
We realise that there are still many other things such as completion of ramp on the reserve and a hand railing, building of an ornamental shelter pavilion of concrete on the Beach Reserve, with provision made for a copper for hot water for picnickers, breakwater to protect the bathing boxes and concrete paths leading from same to the water, but money is required to carry out same and we confidently appeal to all persons who are property owners in North Shore to join our Association, and thereby their subscription of 5/- yearly, help to provide for further improvements, and also furnish ideas for others.
During the year Mr. Lenny resigned from the committee, as he had left Geelong, and Mr. Townley was appointed in his place. Mr. D. C. McGruer also tendered his resignation at last meeting as president, owing to pressure of business. His past services were much appreciated, and the resignation was accepted with regret. Our best thanks are due to Mr. E. Morley, M.L.A., Mr. J. H Lister, M.H.R., Town Planning Association, Ford Company, Co-operative Phosphate Company, Corio Shire Council, Geelong Harbour Trust, Water and Sewerage Trust, Melbourne Electric Supply Company, and Victorian Railway Commissioners for their consideration and courtesy during the past year in the various matters we approached them on.
We forwarded Christmas greetings and goodwill letters to them, and they were heartily reciprocated.
In conclusion, there has been many thousands of pounds of public and private money spent in buildings, public utilities and industries, and 39 homes erected in the district during the past 12 months or so, and several others are in course of erection, clearly showing the need of a live Progress Association, which we can honestly say ours to be. We have achieved practically everything (except the recreation reserve) we set out to do, and this is something to be proud of. All members worked cordially together for the general welfare, and I heartily thank the officers and members for their loyalty and kindly support during my term of office, which has been a pleasure, and respectfully desire the same for my successor.
The Argus Melbourne 8 April 1927
New Industry for Geelong.
GEELONG, Thursday - It was announced to-day that negotiations had been completed for the establishment at North Shore of a large whiskey distillery by British distillers. An area of 25 acres of land has been bought at North Shore. It is understood that an early beginning will be made with building operations, and that nearly £250,000 will be spent in the plant and buildings.
The Horsham Times 10 May 1927
PHOSPHATE CO-OPERATIVE CO.
There was no auspicious opening of the Phosphate Co-operative Company's works at North Shore, Geelong, not even the breaking of a bottle of champagne to mark the commencement of the manufacture of the first ton of superphosphate, says the Geelong Advertiser. One of the acid plants was completed, and as stocks of raw material were on hand and the plant ready to proceed with the manufacture of the commodity for which many share holders have waited for a long time, the management went to work, and are now storing the superphosphate so that stocks can be built up before the pro duct is placed on the market. At a meeting of shareholders on Tuesday in Melbourne it was decided that only shareholders who had paid up their calls, should have voting power. The constitution will be altered to that effect. It is intended to build up a stock of 1000 tons, and already a large quota of that total has been manufactured. Owing to delay caused in having a wharf erected, and to avoid double handling charges at Geelong, a large quantity of raw material is being discharged from ships in Melbourne and sent by rail to Geelong. This policy is causing a loss in revenue to the Geelong port.
The Horsham Times 3 June 1927
FALL OF SUPERPHOSPHATE.
A painful accident befell W. Dancey aged 49, residing in Edol street, North Geelong, at the Cresco Fertiliser Works at North Shore on Saturday morning. When he was at work several tons of superphosphates fell on him, fracturing his right leg. He was hurried to the hospital, where he was admitted after examination.
Advocate Burnie 10 January 1928
£200,000 FOR WHISKY.
Distillery For Victoria.
MELBOURNE, - Monday. - Contracts have been let for the erection of cask sheds of steel, concrete and brick, for a whisky distillery company at North Shore, Geelong.
Cask sheds will be erected first, as they can be used for storing machinery and plant for the distillery as it arrives from England.
Tenders for other units of the distillery will be dealt with later. A company in which leading British whisky manufacturers are interested will expend something like £200,000 in establishing itself at North Shore.
Advocate Burnie 15 May 1928
4000 VIEW NEW MODELS
GEELONG, -Monday. - To-day for the first time the new Ford car was on public view. A special display for Geelong people was held at the Ford Motor Company's works, North Shore. To-morrow in all the capital cities of Australia, displays will be made. More than 4,000 people saw the six models on show. Four special trains were chartered, and a half-holiday bus service was arranged.
Werribee Shire Banner 17 May 1928
Point Cook Unsuitable as Seacraft Base
The postponement of the official test flight of one of the new £18,000 supermarine Southhampton flying boats at Point Cook on Thursday morning because of the stiff wind blowing, demonstrates again the unsuitability of Point Cook as a base for the flying boats and seaplanes. Fear of damage to expensive seacraft equipment when handling it between the hangers and the water is the reason for the Air Force deciding to fly the boats only during good weather. Point Cook is one of the most exposed points on the bay. It is open to almost all the winds which blow round Melbourne, particularly to violent south-easterlies. Great difficulty is often experienced in landing and launching seaplanes, and many times men have had hard fights in waist deep cold water to prevent damage to the machines, says a Melbourne contemporary. When flying-boats with a 90 ft. wing span are to be taken out wariness about wind conditions shown by Air Force officials can be under stood. In spite of every precaution, a strong gust of wind might swing a machine round while it is on the slipway and smash the tail or a wing. Meanwhile, 125 acres of land on the north-west shore of Corio Bay, purchased by the Government in 1921 for £4824, to serve as the site of an ideal base for flying boats and torpedo carrying craft, are lying idle, and there does not seem to be any intention to develop the site. Still the Government is saving on the deal. It is not spend- ing any money in developing the site, and by means of grazing permits is keeping the land free from noxious weeds without cost.
The Mercury Hobart 24 July 1928
Some of our coastal towns which consider themselves potential ports would welcome their conversion into seaplane bases. Not so the old town on Corio Bay, which our grandfathers considered should have been the capital of Victoria. During the past 20 years or so Geelong has advanced from the fourth to the second city in the State. From a mere port where Western District wool and a fair proportion of Wimmera wheat was loaded it has grown into the most important industrial town outside Melbourne. Mr. Henry Ford established his Victorian factory there. The woollen mills at the place that used to be called "Sleepy Hollow" are at least paying their way, and a Scotch combine is building a distillery in which it is proposed to produce the real ''mountain dew." It is not astonishing, therefore, that Geelong is not enthusiastic about this seaplane base proposal. She intends to use all the land within her jurisdiction for her own industrial, residential, and civic purposes. If the question comes to a legal battle, the fact that the Corporation of Geelong still exists by virtue of an old charter may be the basis of a very interesting argument.
The Argus Melbourne 10 May 1930
SMITH. —On the 7th May, 1930, at her residence, Sea Beach parade, North Shore, Geelong, Lucie, the dearly loved wife of Duncan Smith, and devoted mother of Ivy, Gordon, Lucie, Marjory, John, Myrtle, Duncan, Alex, Maggie, and Jean, aged 55 years. (Interred privately, Eastern Cemetery, Geelong, on the 8th May, 1930.)
The Argus Melbourne 2 June 1930
RUN DOWN BY TRAIN.
Man Killed at Lara.
GEELONG, Sunday.-The mangled body of Carl Gunnser, aged 24 years, single, of North Shore, was found on the railway line nearly opposite the Lara railway station last night. Gunnser lived with his brother in-law, Mr. L. C. O'Brien, at North Shore, and left home in the afternoon to attend a football match at Lara. He left friends at tea time with the intention of catching a train at Lara to North Shore, and it is believed that instead of crossing the line at the south end of the station yard, Gunnser walked along the rails toward the platform, about 100 yards distant. He was about 20 yards from the platform when he was struck by a football special train from Geelong. Some time later station officials discovered the body. Spencer street was communicated with, and an examination of the train showed portions of a man's clothing in the undercarriage of the fifth passenger car.
Constable McLeod, of Lara, had the body removed to the morgue.
The Argus Melbourne 28 July 1930
NEW TERRITORY AT GEELONG.
Disagreement between local authorities and the Railways department on the naming of the rapidlv developing portion of Geelong now known as North Shore has been referred to the State Lands department. The name North Shore has been considered unsuitable, as it may be confused with the North Shore area, Sydney. The Railways department suggested that the area should be called Pivot. The names Hume and Grant have been suggested locally. The Lands department has now indicated that it concurs with the suggestion of the Railways Commissioners that the area should be known as Pivot.